Mr. Justin Dahlberg is director of the Bridge Engineering Center (BEC) and co-director of the National Center for Wood Transportation Structures (NCWTS), both housed at Iowa State University. Collectively, these centers employ multiple research staff and graduate students and collaborate with Iowa State University faculty and professionals around the world to complete the centers’ objectives and goals to maintain and improve bridge infrastructure assets.
Mr. Dahlberg’s professional career includes six years as a structural engineer for a private consulting firm where he had the opportunity to lead projects and design structures for several multi-million-dollar projects and nine years of conducting bridge-related research for the BEC and NCWTS. He has conducted investigative bridge research and performed onsite and bridge-related laboratory tests while working on projects involving structural health monitoring, material performance, repair and rehabilitation, and bridge performance. Onsite investigation has included bridges located in many geographically diverse areas around the US and working with multiple material types and bridge configurations. His experiences have enabled him to work among all levels of government and private personnel in many states around the US. Mr. Dahlberg is a registered engineer in the State of Iowa.
- MS, Civil Engineering, Iowa State University, 2007
- BS, Civil Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Platteville, 2005
- Professional Engineer (PE) License, State of Iowa (No. 21398)
- Research Engineer, Bridge Engineering Center, Institute for Transportation, Iowa State University Ames, IA, 2010–2015, 2018–present
- Senior Structural Engineer, Saul Engineering, 2015–2018
- Structural Engineer, Saul Engineering, 2007–2010
- Dahlberg, J., P. Lu, K. Freeseman., and B. Phares. 2018. Development of Rural Road Bridge Weigh-in-Motion System to Assess Weight and Configuration of Farm-to-Market Vehicles. Iowa State University, Ames, IA.
- Dahlberg, J., and B. Phares. 2016. Polymer Concrete Overlay Evaluation. Iowa State University, Ames, IA.
- Dahlberg, J., and B. Phares. 2016. Evaluation of Performance of Innovative Bridges in Wisconsin, WisDOT ID no. 0092-15-02.
- Dahlberg, J., and B. Phares. 2015. Iowa ABC Connections. Iowa State University, Ames, IA.
- Dahlberg, J., B. Phares, and W. F. Klaiber. 2015. Development of Cost-Effective Timber Bridge Repair Techniques for Minnesota, MnDOT Report no. MN/RC 2015-45A.
- Deng, Y., B. Phares, H. Dang, and J. Dahlberg. 2015. Impact of concrete deck removal on horizontal shear capacity of shear connections. Journal of Bridge Engineering.
- Phares, B., and J. Dahlberg. 2015. Performance and design of bridge approach panels in Wisconsin, WisDOT ID no. 0092-14-04.
- Dahlberg, J., B. Phares, J. Bigelow, and W. F. Klaiber. 2012. Timber Abutment Piling and Back Wall Rehabilitation and Repair. Iowa State University, Ames, IA.