Bridge Damage Detection: Integration of Structural Health Monitoring System Concepts and Components - A Statewide Collaboration
- Ping Lu
- Jin Zhu
- Salam Rahmatalla
Start date: 09/01/11
End date: 10/31/13
- October 2013, Integration of Bridge Damage Detection Concepts and Components Volume I: Strain-Based Damage Detection 5.19 mb (*pdf)
- October 2013, Integration of Bridge Damage Detection Concepts and Components Volume II: Acceleration-Based Damage Detection 2.40 mb (*pdf)
- October 2013, Integration of Bridge Damage Detection Concepts and Components Volume III: Wireless Bridge Monitoring Hardware 2.41 mb (*pdf)
Related publications: Integration of Bridge Damage Detection Concepts and Components 639.14 kb *pdf October 2013
*To read pdf files, you may need to download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Iowa Department of Transportation
Iowa Highway Research Board
About the research
The Iowa Department of Transportation (DOT) started investing in research (through both the Iowa Highway Research Board and the Office of Bridges and Structures) in 2003 to develop a structural health monitoring (SHM) system capable of identifying damage and able to report on the general operational condition of bridges. In some cases, the precipitous for these developments has been a desire to avoid damage that might go unnoticed until the next biennial inspection. Of specific and immediate concern was the state’s inventory of fracture-critical structures.
The goal of this project was to bring together various components of recently-completed research at Iowa’s Regent Universities with the following specific objectives:
- Final development of the overall SHM system hardware and software
- Integration of vibration-based measurements into current damage-detection algorithm
- Evaluation and development of energy-harvesting techniques suitable for wireless sensor networks
2711 S. Loop Drive, Suite 4700, Ames, Iowa 50010-8664
Phone: 515-294-9501 ~ Fax: 515-294-0467
The Bridge Engineering Center is administered by Iowa State University's Institute for Transportation.
Copyright © 2007–2009, Iowa State University. All rights reserved.